Sunday, March 29, 2009

Week 7 #17 sandbox wiki

Okay, that was fun. I liked adding my two cents on a wiki. I chose to talk about a podcast project I have done with a teacher for the last two years. It started out as a class assignment for me and we have decided to keep it up. The kids love this. Anything on the computer and they are game. I want to try trading cards on flickr and put them on a wiki now. How might that work? Will each student have to create their own flickr account? I'll have to add them all as authors in the wiki I guess. Am I able to make generic logins for both flickr and wikispaces? Will that allow more than one student to work on the account at the same time? I also have to think about permission to post on the web. We didn't post on the web in the past but used intranet. I'll have to see if I can do that again. It may seem like I have more questions than answers but I did answer some while playing. Wikis are not so scary as I once believed. The manager of the wiki has some control over who edits a wiki. Wikis encourage learning, thinking, problem solving and collaboration amongst the authors of each site.

1 comment:

  1. You can open a wiki to everyone and say that people do not have to have an account to add but that leads to a problem of control. You can send in a class list to wikispaces and have them give the kids accounts without requiring them to have an email. I don't think you can do that with PB wiki or with Wet Paint. That is one benefit to Wikispaces.

    If you use pictures that you are uploading from your computer - you don't need to have an account at Big Huge Labs to do the card. You just need to remember to save it to the computer so you can upload it to your wikispaces. I hope that will help.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete