Friday, March 27, 2009

Week 5 #11

Exploring award winners was time consuming because I wanted to visit so many sites and had to limit myself. Several of the sites were more interesting, easier to navigate, and more applicable than others.
The first site I looked at was Youtube. I have not been to this site but it has been a topic of much conversation with our music teachers. The site was blocked last year in our district (perhaps still) and many of our teachers had been using this site in their lessons. I can see why. Given the right video, it can be very educational. I set up an account and now have some favorites in it. One I enjoyed was a video of whales net feeding. This video would be great for a science lesson on whales. Rather than telling a student about it, we can show them how whales feed in living color. Amazing.
Another site was Zango. This was supposed to be a sight with a lot of games. I was looking for sites easy to find parents could use to help their child practice basic math facts. I can't say as I found this site helpful. It took up a lot of downloading time. I don't think I even played a game when I was in the site.
A new favorite I'll use again is My Heritage . This was a nice site to set up the family tree. My uncle is always on sites like this and has printed pages for everyone in the family. With this, we can share the site with all the relatives and save a tree. I have set up an account and started adding family members.
With a good chunk of family in Oregon, we are planning to buy a home down there soon. I used Zillow and found quite a few properties in our area of interest. I didn't but should have set up an alert for any new listings in our price range. I could see this site used in math comparing house prices across the country.
I went to Ning and signed up. I invited family to join me. Now, I wait for their reply. Like the library sites.
Finally, I had a difficult time leaving the Traveler IQ. This was fun. Thanks for this site. I want to start a geography club next year. I am looking for potential sites to help with this. This may have some value for that. I myself could not stop playing the games and made it to several levels before I was booted out.

1 comment:

  1. One of the things that this class allows for is time to look at different sites that we usually don't take time for....or at least I didn't when I was teaching, no time....

    Ann

    ReplyDelete