Friday, March 27, 2009

Week 6 #14 Technorati

Wow! It is amazing the number of daily blogs. So many blogs to track and filter requires a pretty hefty site and software. I appreciate that someone else has designed the sites with tagging capabilities for us. I wouldn't even bother to spend too much time on the internet otherwise. We have so many sites tagged at our fingertips, we can peruse and determine which will suit our needs much more quickly.

While in Technorati, I typed in the keyword "School Library Learning 2.0", searched for blogs, tags, and the blog directory, and received different results for each. There were 19 blog posts, 27 tags, and 118 in the blog directory. I found this to be a little disappointing and somewhat confusing. It didn't seem as user friendly as flickr and delicious. I did notice many librarians and educators taking this class from CSLA had claimed their blogs.

I took a peek at some of the most popular sites according to Technorati. Boing boing (popular blog) was interesting but not too useful for younger students. I looked at book tags hoping to find some interesting children recommendations. Didn't find anything which I wanted to purchase right away.

Again, thank goodness for someone else designing this free software. As before, the advantages of collaboration with colleagues in developing useful tags of sites for educational purposes is priceless. I must say flickr was/is my favorite. Perhaps, it is because I explored it first. Maybe it is because I like pictures and would like to play with and manage my photos in a much more organized method. I have pictures on four different computers and would love to make some albums web based for family and/or educational viewing. The buttons right on my computer tool bar make del.icio.us so handy and useful. I don't see going to Technorati much at all with the other two options.

I wouldn't mind practicing the optional claiming your blog but don't understand the html and code thing yet.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on Technorati....I find it difficult to search on and I don't find the types of sites I want. I tend to use google blog search more often. I have to be careful about how many things I add to my RSS feed as I won't give up my reading and beading time to deal with blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you like to read? Are you like me and have some professional book, a new book processed in the library, and a favorite going all at once?
    What do you like to bead? Earrings? I have a friend who beads. She does beautiful work though she is pretty humble. I haven't beaded since I was a child. I'm a knitter.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete