Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Week 9 #21 Podcasts

This was a long exploratory evening. I love to podcast and have done this with classes already. I have a teacher who loves to incorporate technology and so I collaborate with her frequently. We've been doing podcasts using garage band making the final product accessible within the district only. The parents come in for a presentation and are quite pleased. With new knowledge, we could make this web based for those parents interested in sharing their child's work with the grandparents down south.
My search was quite long because when going to the yahoo podcast tutorial, I had no success. It didn't show. The same for podcast.net. Podcast alley is sure to be blocked by the district. Highly inappropriate popular podcasts on the home page. Teacher Created materials were selling their products on their podcasts. Educational Podcast Network included some very lengthy material and I couldn't sit for the entire podcast. I couldn't see where to listen to podcasts on Techsavy girls. I listened to some library podcasts explaining how their library works. I looked at podcast.com. I finally settled on some book review podcasts which I enjoyed. Children's book radio included many book reviews for children. Easy to find and listen to. Not too long. Another site I had fun with included 'One Minute Danish' podcast lessons. I speak the language and enjoyed hearing a native speaker.
I would use the children's book review site. I'd find books I was reading to children and share the podcast. This could launch the class into creating their own book review podcast. I like adding pictures to the podcast so I don't have to look at the 'swirly twirlies' for 5 minutes.
I want to go back to the language site because Danish was not the only language taught via podcast.net. This would be nice to share with our ESL/ELL teacher. She and I have been talking about some of great things I have seen to date. She is motivated to learn more about the web 2.0 tools.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't found Children's Book Radio until I looked at your blog. It was fun to listen to, and I think I would be able to do something like it in our library.

    ReplyDelete