Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Week 8 #19.1 Alaska's Digital Pipeline

Everytime I explore, I find something new and interesting. I've added the SLED toolbar. Love that. The flash movie helped to explain enhancements though I would have liked sound. My new folder is quickly filling of articles for me to read. I have a journal alert set up. I haven't done that before and after reading other blogs, I don't know how long I'll keep it if the e-mails are many.
Looking through the school interfaces, each progressive level included more search opportunities. There was plenty for each grade level to use. I have introduced some of the search sites off the elementary school interface already but kids don't naturally use these for searches yet. I am thinking it still looks a little wordy to many students. I have this site on my catalog homepage for easy access but may need to fine tune and continue to show this.
The Consumer Health Database was new to me. I enjoyed exploring and will use it on a personal level as well as share it with teachers. It could enhance many Science lessons.
I also realized, the more I play the more comfortable I feel exploring SLED. I giggle at the auto repair because that is so not me. My children would have better luck with this site.
I love looking at old Alaskan pictures. Particularly, because my great grandfather was instrumental in documenting Southeast Alaska history. Below is a one of many pictures in the digital image collection. This one is from the fourth of July. I'll play so I can have this viewed right on the blog.

http://vilda.alaska.edu/u?/cdmg21,7124

1 comment:

  1. I loved the shared folders for kids doing big projects. They stopped coming to me and saying "you know that article you helped me find last week..." The training curve is ongoing with this for both staff and students and I really like the new interface as well. Much nicer.

    ReplyDelete